What Is A Ductless Mini-Split Air Conditioning System?
A ductless mini-split air conditioning system relies on the expansion and contraction of refrigerant moving through a closed system. That’s fairly technical, but in a nutshell that refrigerant removes heat from the air in your home, which in turn cools it down. Instead of pushing cold air through long networks of ducts and vents, a ductless mini-split air conditioning system cools the air right where it’s needed most. As a result it’s very efficient at cooling the spaces you use.
Whether you have a ductless air conditioning system or a central air conditioning system , it might be time to look at your options. Here are five good reasons to switch to a ductless mini-split air conditioning system.
The Big Secret of Mini-Splits and Five Other Reasons to Own Them
The neat thing about most ductless mini-split air conditioners is that they’re actually heat pumps, rather than just air conditioners. A heat pump is nearly identical to an air conditioner, but it has the ability to switch from cold to hot with a switching valve that can change whether it’s pushing hot air into a room or pulling it out.
These are other great reasons to install a mini-split system this spring:
- Cool the spaces that weren’t built into your home’s original ductwork – Your old Toronto home might not have the ability to have a central air conditioning system installed at an affordable price. Because mini-splits are inexpensive to acquire and need very little in the way of installation, your garage, workshop, added-on rec room, attic conversion and so many other spaces can finally be appropriately climate controlled. The small size of the units and tiny holes that are required to connect the indoor unit to the outdoor one make them good for almost any room.
- Custom climate control for any room – Each indoor mini-split unit is essentially its own system, which means you can set each one to a different temperature without wasting energy cooling down your entire house. No more trying to balance your 80-degree office with your 70-degree living room, they can both cruise at a comfortable 72 degrees all the time, or even just when you’re using them.
- Save money and use less energy – Saving energy and money tend to go hand-in-hand. Ductwork can be both a bit leaky and also just inefficient due to a lack of insulation, while ductless mini-split air conditioners are much more efficient than their central cooling counterparts. According to Fujitsu, just one manufacturer of these units, homeowners generally see a savings of up to 24 percent on their utility bills when they make the switch to ductless.
- Ductless intelligence – Smart home technology isn’t anything new, but it has yet to gain wide acceptance in the heating and air space. Ductless mini-splits are often fully loaded with WiFi controls and other features that allow them to connect to smart home systems.
- Reliability – Because they have so few moving parts and no ductwork to speak of, mini-splits rarely suffer significant breakdowns. They’re easy to maintain and they only need a little bit of attention throughout the year.
Dr. Ductless Will Help You Get More Efficient
If you’re looking for a heating or air conditioning solution for your spare room or your whole house, a ductless mini-split may be the right answer. You’ll need a good installer. Dr. Ductless has over 35 years of experience installing, maintaining and repairing ductless mini-split air conditioning system and heat pump systems throughout Toronto and the GTA. Call us for a free estimate: 1.866.482.2767 (1.866.HVAC.SOS)